So, with an idea in mind, I set to work. I measured and found the board to be 2.5" wide and 0.75" wide. I pulled out my handy-dandy saw and started cutting.
The idea was to cut them into squares, and that worked, for the most part. So, now I had a bunch of 2.5"x2.5" squares.
Next comes paint. Lucky me, I had a bunch of black left from Halloween. A few coats, and all my squares were black.
And, this is the part where I forgot to document steps. I recently made labels for my dry goods containers on the counter, and I really liked the font. This font was perfect for my inspiration, so I pulled my spandy new Silhouette out and got to cutting. Since my blocks were 2.5" squares, I cut the font about 2.25" tall. Then, I painted a layer of Mod Podge on each square. On to each square I stuck a letter. And ended up with "LAUGH" and "LOVE". Add another layer of Mod Podge, and now my blocks are shiny as well as black with letters. Almost there, I thanked my lucky stars that I picked up eye hooks at Home Depot this morning. So, in the top and bottom of each block I screwed in an eye hook. Whew! Now a picture.
With the hooks in, all that was left was to attach the letters to each other. I bent the bottom hook out -
and slid the following letter on.
I still haven't figured out exactly how to hang them. I mean, they are on the wall, but they need something more. Anyway. My favorite part of this project was the price. $2. Really. I bought the eye hooks for $2 this morning, but that was all I had to buy. The wood was scrap, the spray paint left over from Halloween, and the paper some of my stock on hand. Yeah! (One day I will have to learn to take pictures well so that you can really see how cute these babies are!)